Skip to content

How Does Live Chat Agent Behavior Affect CSAT?

Share this article: Facebooktwitterredditlinkedinmail

What drives customer satisfaction? For this customer, live chat agent effort was the number one driver. Maybe not surprising, when a live chat agent makes the customer feel valued, when the agent invests effort into the conversation rather than to give one word answers, the customer walk away with a better experience. The second driver of customer satisfaction was live chat agent friendliness. Did the customer perceive that the live chat agent was friendly, or cold and robotic? Responsiveness was the third driver of CSAT. Then, there are some factors out of the control of the live chat agent and the possibilities of chat agent coaching, such as why the customer started the chat, how much experience the live chat agent has, what the live chat agent’s shift looks like, what part of the country the customer is coming from, and what time of day the message was sent.

Then we look at emotion and questions where the live chat agent responded with sympathy. With this information we’re able to figure out what matters to order behavior and what matters in chat agent coaching. Effort seems to matter most to both conversion rates as well as order size, but in the case of conversions friendliness matters a ton. After friendliness it’s what it is the customer wants to talk about, followed by responsiveness. Here we see emotion is at 6.9%. I won’t beat you guys over the head with this but just a 10% improvement across those 4 categories is considerable. I’m not talking about turning the worst live chat agent into the best. I’m just saying that if you make a 10% improvement across a variety of different categories through chat agent coaching, conversion, satisfaction, and order size improve.

Effort was driving the most change. A 10% improvement in effort yields a 10% improvement to order size. We see comparable figures for sales conversions. A 1.4% improvement in emotion and friendliness drives a 2% improvement in order size. In total if chat agent behavior improves by 10% you’re going to get close to a 12% increase in order size. When you add that up with sales conversions, you’ll see similar numbers. That means just by live chat agent coaching and helping live chat agents build rapport this customer saw a 50% revenue enhancement. A huge dollar value, just by saying let’s not even worry about teaching more about the product, let’s just make sure the live chat agent is equipped to handle the customer the right way – to show the customer they’re valued, to speak authentically and to engage with them the customer in a way that builds relationships.

Here we did some topic analysis. These are the keywords that work the best. When a customer sent you these keywords it was going to be a good conversation: thank you, perfect, help, awesome, cool, wonderful, nice, wow, amazing, perfect. No surprises there, but what about the worst keywords? Mailing, unsubscribe, postcard. So we think, clearly there’s a mailing issue here. This is how we use artificial intelligence to analyze how this company engages and what they can do to fix their business. Other keywords that emerged were overlapping photos and shuffling photos. This is another instance where we’re actually trying to figure out the issues with the system in the context of live customer chat.

Transcribed from Dr. Michael Housman’s Lecture at UC Berkeley Business School in May 2017.

Learn more about the live chat agent training from the team at RapportBoost.

Follow us:Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube
Tony Medrano

About Tony Medrano

Tony started his career as a technology entrepreneur out of his Stanford University dorm as co-founder and President of DoDots, the first desktop-to-mobile app platform. He built the company to 100+ employees, raised $25M in venture capital and managed all company operations, personnel and deals. He was most recently CEO of Boopsie, a mobile Platform-as-a-Service company that he grew for 4 years and successfully sold to a strategic partner in 2015. Tony has also served as Vice President of Sales / Business Development at Reply! and SmartDrive Systems. Tony has dedicated his career in technology to leading sales teams and understands the need for automation tools that help sales reps increase efficiency, close more business and increase margins. Tony received his MBA and JD from Stanford, M.A. from Columbia and B.A. from Harvard.

Leave a Comment

Scroll To Top